Cholesterol - Let's talk about how to control it?

What's cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a type of fat found in our body. It is very important for the normal functioning of the body and is present in the heart, brain, liver, intestines, muscles, nerves and skin. In addition, our body uses cholesterol to produce some hormones, such as vitamin D, testosterone, estrogen ...

About 70% of cholesterol is produced by our own organism in the liver, and the other 30% comes from our diet.

Embora fundamental para o corpo, por se tratar de uma substância gordurosa, o excesso de colesterol no sangue é um dos principais fatores de risco no desenvolvimento de doenças cardiovasculares.

What types of cholesterol?

You may have heard from your doctor or friends that there are two types of cholesterol, the good - called HDL, and the bad - called LDL.

LDL cholesterol, known as "bad cholesterol", is responsible for transporting cholesterol to cells and tissues. When your blood pressure level is elevated in the blood, there may be an accumulation in the walls of the arteries that carry blood to the brain and heart.

Over time, excess LDL can form fat plaques that narrow the artery, preventing proper blood flow and increasing the risk of heart attack, for example.

HDL, or good cholesterol, carries cholesterol from the organs and tissue to the liver, removing it from the body. By acting on cholesterol degradation, ideally HDL levels in the blood are elevated to prevent the development of heart disease. Low HDL (less than 40mg / dL) may also contribute to the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Already the total cholesterol is the sum of the types of cholesterol that circulate in the blood.

Check out the recommended levels of good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol and Total:

Tips to control your cholesterol!

Hipertensão-10 mandamentos.jpg

Websites to know more about Cholesterol

CENTERS OF DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION

Great website to find informations about cholesterol and other diseases. You can find tips to prevent and control your cholesterol and also statistics around the world.

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION

Great website to find informations about cholesterol and other diseases. You can find tips to prevent and control your cholesterol and also statistics around the world.